The opening of PGC. The Presbyterian Girls’ College (PGC) was established with 45 students. The original residence ‘Glenbrae’ was purchased in Locke Street, Warwick and the first headmistress was Miss Constance Mackness who remained in this role until 1949.
The Scots College was founded at ‘Arranmore’ on the banks of the Condamine River. The first Headmaster was Mr Briggs.
After the first graduating students formed a close affiliation with their school, the Past Students Association was introduced.
The Memorial Belfry is erected. Many past students speak often of the bell tower that used to sit in front of De Conlay boarding house. The Belfry was erected to honour the life of Mrs Dorothy Ada Tait in 1936. Mrs Tait was the wife of the Headmaster of SCOTS at that time, Mr Alan Tait. She was an accomplished teacher and pianist and well loved by all in the SCOTS community, so her sudden passing in the winter holidays of 1935 had a devastating effect on the whole College community.
De Conlay House and WR Black buildings open. During 1939, Council accepted the proposal from Mr John Dunning and the Rev M Henderson to build a new dormitory block next to School House and a separate classroom block that would have respective purposes as residential area and junior school. The house, named in honour of BT De Conlay came to be constructed alongside the WR Black Building at a combined cost of £10,000.
WWII Army Hospital takes over SCOTS. The Australian Army first indicated their interest in the site in 1942, prior to boys returning to school. Council members approached the owners of two properties near Warwick to ensure that students at SCOTS could continue their education during the war. Shortly after, the boys were evacuated from SCOTS to take up residence and school at ‘Toolburra’ (12 kilometres north on the Allora road) and ‘Kingswood’ (closer to Warwick, overlooking the road to Killarney).
Retirement of longest serving and much-loved PGC Principal, Miss Mackness. Her decision to retire was made early in 1949.
Cadets and the College Pipe Band emerges. During 1948 the Old Scots Collegians Association purchased 250 kilts and sporrans from the Queensland Cameron Highlanders Association. This allowed the already established cadet unit to adopt a kilted uniform in 1949. Boys had brought both their kilts and bagpipes to school long before this time. However, the change prompted Principal Des Davey to formally establish the Pipe Band. The founding members of the Scots Pipes and Drums were Drum Major Darryl Hutton, Pipe Major David Laird, Sergeant Piper John Muir, Leading Drummer Alistair Kennedy, Pipers Jim Muir, Anthony Tait, Edward Jackson and Drummers Leigh Wynne, John Hunt and John Durrand.
SCOTS and PGC become The SCOTS PGC College. The Oxenham Street campus housed all classes whilst PGC remained in place as the girls boarding house. While the two Colleges operated separately before this time, they regularly participated in joint activities, such as Speech Days, and interacted socially at church, dances and sporting and culture events.
Dormitories renovated on both SCOTS and PGC campuses. The late 1970’s through to the mid 1980’s saw SCOTS PGC enter an exciting phase of renewed energy and redevelopment. Both the boys and girls boarding facilities underwent refurbishment. Enrolment numbers increased and the College experienced improvements in both the scholastic and sporting spheres.
75th Anniversary of PGC. To celebrate the occasion, the whole College participated in a production to re-enact the original opening that took place on 5 February 1918. The event was held at ‘Glenbrae’, Locke St – the spiritual birthplace of PGC and the milestone was widely celebrated by the entire College community.
Opening of John Muir Sports Centre. John Muir, a past student and Chairman of the College from 1982-2001 graciously donated funds to support the building of this facility – a state of the art sports hall that features multipurpose courts with high performance sports flooring, viewing gallery, purpose built gymnasium and an elevated cardio workout area.
Relocation of Chapel to SCOTS PGC campus grounds. The Chapel was moved from its original standing as the Methodist Church on the corner of Guy and Grafton streets in down town Warwick to make way for the Rose City Shopping Centre. It was deconstructed brick by brick under strict heritage control and re-established on the College campus in April 1997.
The Des Davey Dining Hall opens. Des Davey was the Principal of the SCOTS College from 1949-1955. The building was opened in honour of his service to the College.
Establishment of The Betty Crombie Middle School precinct. Betty Deane-Butcher was an accomplished PGC scholar and athlete throughout the early 1930s. She returned to PGC as Mrs Betty Crombie in 1957 as co-headmistress alongside Mrs Dot Evers from 1957-1960. In the early 2000s the need to establish a separate middle school for students in Years 5 to 7 became apparent. This would allow students to learn and grow with peers of their own age whilst still being able to access the larger school community. The Betty Crombie Middle School was opened in 2003.
Opening of Junior School precinct and Prep facility. The Oxenham Street Junior School and The Rod and Di Jones Prepatory School were opened on 24 April 2009. The Junior School precinct boasts purpose-built modern classrooms designed to cater for students from Prep through to Year 4. Central to the precinct is a large play area and outdoor amphitheatre where play-based fun starts every day.
Opening of learning enrichment centre. The ‘Wilf Arthur Learning Enrichment Centre’ (WALEC) was opened in April, 2011. The centre comprises a modern learning and library area with casual relaxation spaces, computer lab and lecture room that seats 80. Outside is a large undercover area with multipurpose courts. Wilf Arthur was a past student of the College who also courageously served in WWII. The centre was named in his honour.
Opening of new Senior Boys Boarding House. To stay abreast of the growing needs within the boarding community, the school decided to retire School House and DeConlay as the main boarding facilities for senior boys. Following this decision, ‘Hawkins House’ was established at East St, adjacent to the Senior School campus.
Kyle Thompson is appointed the seventh Principal of SCOTS PGC College in late 2017.
SCOTS PGC celebrates a century. A number of celebrations are held throughout the year and 100 years of history documented in a special series, The Lion and the Thistle.
The College launches it’s 2019-2021 Strategic Plan.
Creative and cultural pursuits. A renewed focus on the Arts sees our performance and music programs expand with students able to access activities like dance, rock band and broader instrumental experiences