Hawkins House Official Opening
Date: May 19, 2015 Posted by: Carmel Cowley
Following the ANZAC Service and Breakfast on 24th April 2015 the official opening of Hawkins House was held. This state of the art boarding facility was named after Brian Hawkins, a Past Student and generous Beneficiary to the College. Mr Hawkins was joined by our member of Federal Parliament the Hon. Bruce Scott MP to unveil a plaque which will be exhibited on the building for future generations of boarders to see.
Along with Mr Hawkins the College has received other generous contributions towards the construction of Hawkins House from past students who in turn have had a wing of Hawkins House named in their honour. This included past College Council member Mr Robert Wild (past student 1958-1961) whose grandson and current boy boarder Brock Wild (Year 11) placed the plaque ‘Wild Wing’ in place. Mr John Watts (past student 1946-1950) also had his grandson Mr Damien Berry who proudly placed the plaque of ‘Watts Wing’.
Hawkins House has been designed as a contemporary boarding school facility taking advantage of the collaborative style of education offered to today’s student. The facility offers SOLE (Self Organised Learning Environments) Rooms in each Wing where boarders can undertake study in an environment that is more conducive to greater collaboration and communication in order to assist them in developing their creativity and critical thinking. The layout of the boarding house makes full use of the internal and external surroundings offering boarders a number of break out areas where they can relax, play or socialise.
Please feel free to contact the College if you would like a tour of this facility.