With a history spanning 100 years, The SCOTS PGC College is testament to parents wanting to give their children the best education possible.
An amalgamation of two fine schools, the SCOTS part of our school was originally The Scots College, a boys boarding and day school that commenced in Warwick in 1918. One year earlier, in 1917, the Presbyterian Girls’ College (PGC) opened its doors as a boarding and day school with 53 pupils.
Local families, the DeConlay’s and Shilliday’s were seen as the founding fathers of the PGC as they wished for their daughters to have a Presbyterian education and didn’t want to send them to Toowoomba. Warwick was chosen as the suitable southern downs location to build a new school that would cater not just for Warwick parents or Presbyterians.
“Glenbrae”, an established home on over five acres in Locke Street, Warwick was purchased in 1917. Over the next eighteen months a brother school, The SCOTS College, was established with the acquisition of another home ‘Arranmore’ on the opposite side of the city on the banks of the Condamine River.
SCOTS PGC Timeline
The Presbyterian Girls’ College (PGC) was established with 53 students. “Glenbrae” was purchased in Locke Street, Warwick and the first headmistress was Miss Constance Mackness who remained in this role until 1949.
The Scots College was founded at “Arranmore” on the banks of the Condamine River. The first Headmaster was Mr Briggs.
Past Students Association was formed.
De Conlay House was opened.
Scots students were relocated from Oxenham Street to Kingswood and Toolburra when the 2/12 Army General Hospital took over the College buildings and grounds.
Retirement of longest serving PGC Principal, Miss Mackness.
Amalgamation of the two colleges by Principal Mr Henry Rodger
Dormitories renovated on Scots campus.
Dormitories renovated on PGC campus.
Opening of John Muir Sports Centre.
Relocation of Chapel to SCOTS PGC campus grounds.
Opening of Dining Hall.
Establishment of Middle School precinct.
Opening of Junior School precinct and Prep facility.
Opening of Middle School Library and undercover play area.
Opening of new Senior Boys Boarding House.